Self-Directed Training Course: Creating Positive Spaces for LGBTQIA+ Newcomers Level 1
Ontario Council of Agencies Services Immigrants (OCASI)
Event Date: October 25, 2021
Event Time: 5:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Event Type: Online
Eligibility: Settlement workers who wish to learn how to better service LGBTQIA+ newcomers are invited to participate.
OCASI presents a self-directed training course for settlement workers to more effectively provide affirming care for LGBTQIA+ newcomers.
Upon completing this four-week training course, participants in Creating Positive Spaces for LGBTQIA+ Newcomers Level 1 will be able to:
1. Apply the principles of an anti-racism/anti-oppression framework to support LGBTQIA+ immigrants, refugees, and newcomers
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the various barriers and issues surrounding LGBTQIA+ individuals in their access to services
3. Situate yourself in the context of systemic oppressions faced by LGBTQIA+ newcomers in order to better serve LGBTQIA+ immigrants and refugees living in Ontario by engaging in allyship
4. Demonstrate an understanding of your responsibilities as a service provider in the settlement sector by implementing best practices to create and maintain a positive space for LGBTQIA+ newcomers in your agency
Criteria for Participation
This course is open to settlement workers and service providers who are working in or with the immigrant and refugee-serving sector across the province who are willing to:
• Commit to approximately 2-4 hours of learning per week
• Practice active participation through the program
• Engage in Positive Spaces Initiative (PSI) Group in www.SettleNet.org, a new national online Community of Practice for the Settlement Sector
• Complete assignments within the given timeframe
Registration deadline for this course is October 25, 2021.